Weeding. It’s one of those necessary chores of gardening, and generally, there are two approaches. The first is, pull ‘em as you see ‘em. I try to take this sensible approach as often as I can. More than likely, though, I usually find myself in a weed-a-thon, removing a tangled jungle of inconsiderate weeds that continued to grow and spread despite my not having enough time to choose option one.
That’s how it is right now with this blog. I’ve let several things build up and now it’s time to weed.
First, I owe Beyond Confessions an apology. Weeks ago – yes, weeks – Beyond Confessions nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. Although it is definitely an honor to be nominated, I feel kind of strange accepting it because I’ve received this award twice before.
When she informed me of her nomination, I posted a reply saying thank you – and that maybe she should nominate someone else under the circumstances. I mean, let’s share the wealth a bit. Besides, I really don’t know if I can handle the requirements of the award. I’m all out of random facts about myself – or at least the random facts I feel comfortable telling you all about.
As soon as I clicked send, however, the guilt struck me like a clump o’ mud – and it has been weighing on me, quite heavily. No matter my logic for declining the award, the truth is Beyond Confessions should be thanked and her blog should be recognized. Not only did she take the time to nominate me and 14 other sites, she also completed the award’s requirements while documenting her life as a new mom on her blog.
So, here’s my compromise. I have thanked Beyond Confessions. I will not reveal any more random facts about me. But I will nominate blogs that I have recently discovered — because they deserve to be recognized.
- Daylily Soup – Beth is an Alabama-based gardener who fills her site with amazing words and amazing photos, all of which document her passion.
- Sods Law – Amy is a photographer first , and now she has a garden. A match made in heaven.
- Vickie Szumigala Photo Blog — Vickie is a self-taught photographer who is looking to share tips on making this craft affordable and easy.
- The Word Hoarder — Rich is an Irish ex-pat now living, gardening, raising a family, and writing in North Carolina. Join him on his journey.
- The Soulsby Farm — I am always impressed with the diversity of people’s lives out there. Here Dan not only shares his family , but also the work he does on his small farm. Fascinating stuff.
- This Modern Wife — Alanna shares much of her life as she seeks to redefine what it means to be a wife in the 21st century.
- Skeptical Gardener — A new homeowner and the responsibility of landscaping and tending to a garden.
My second bit of weeding has to do with so many of the comments I received during March – also known as St. Patrick’s Month. Many of you requested a photo of me in full parade regalia. I don’t show this sort of stuff to just anyone. . . but. . . here it goes:
This is me parading in a local parade on Long Island. My friend Cathey captured me in mid-blow, jowls full of air. Bagpiping may not always be pretty, but I do love the accessories.